Re: Professional associations and dues

Subject: Re: Professional associations and dues
From: mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:54:05 -0500

Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM> wrote:

> I am curious about whether most technical writers on the list have
> their membership dues in the STC (or any other professional
> association) paid for by their employer? What benefit is there for
> an employer to pay the writer's membership dues?

My employer pays my dues. If they didn't, I doubt I would join. I'm
not *that* devoted to tech writing. :-)

By paying my dues and encouraging my participation in STC events, my
employer gets the benefit of what I learn at meetings and thus gets a
better tech writer. My company also is very big on giving back to the
community, so that's another benefit.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)