Re: Web vs. web?

Subject: Re: Web vs. web?
From: Susan Kocher <sukoch -at- CATHER -dot- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:39:09 GMT

Michael Clark said:

> But as of now, the WWW is the only thing
>of it's kind and I don't know any reason in the world not to treat it
>as a proper noun.

Yes, and a couple of people here have referred to other "webs" besides
THE Web (WWW). But is this valid? I have not come across the use of
"web" to describe any *particular* web other than the WWW, at least
not until someone brought up this term on this list. Are there really
"other webs"?

Of course, I have never seen the term "intraweb" used before someone
brought it up on this thread, either. Is this term in common, or even
uncommon, use in technical documentation? What would the difference
be between an intraweb and an intranet? Or perhaps I should rephrase
that: why would someone see a need to distinguish between an intranet
and an intraweb?

I guess we're not finished with this issue yet--I posted my summary too
soon!

Sue