Re: Reading levels

Subject: Re: Reading levels
From: "E,T, Hull" <ethull -at- WORLDACCESS -dot- NL>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:07:46 +0200

Many writers of technical documents for "professional" types of equipment
seem to fear "talking down" to their reader. This is reflected in
comments I get from my students of technical writing. I think that there is
a difference between "writing to a seventh grader" and "writing at the
seventh grade level". The first "talks down" to the reader and the second
respects the reader's needs and wishes for a simple, clear and concise
technical text. But at best, that difference is a hazy distinction and I
think that common sense is still the best indicator to follow.

Ed Hull
Professional English
Vught, The Netherlands
ethull -at- worldaccess -dot- nl