Re: Communicating obscure product changes

Subject: Re: Communicating obscure product changes
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 10:13:46 -0400

Jim,

A couple of approaches (use both if you can):

1. If you already know which customers are using the affected feature
(because they are logged in your customer support database), call them
or email them specifically with an alert that the product's behavior has
changed with respect to their tasks. This can be done by the support
person who logged the call in the first place and win huge good will for
your company.

2. In the release notes, begin with a one-page summary, with a clean and
easy-to-read table that has the following columns:

Sequence number
Brief title (same as subhead later in the release notes)
You are affected if you ...
See page no.

The third column, of course, is the important one; and you should write
it as carefully as you write anything anywhere in your documentation. It
should be absolutely clear, concise, and brief and should leave no doubt
about whether I as the user need to review that item in detail or can
safely ignore it.

I don't mind getting thirty pages of release notes if I can see at a
glance that the only items that affect me are on pages 19 and 27.

Hope this helps,

Dick