Re: Word 7 for Windows vs Formatting problems

Subject: Re: Word 7 for Windows vs Formatting problems
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:20:58 -0500

One thing you have to be very careful about with manual page breaks
is that they are treated as part of the following paragraph. If you insert
a manual page break before a heading that is to appear in the Table
of Contents, I have seen two different anomalous results occur:

1) A ToC entry that picks up the page number where the manual
page break is located rather than the correct page number where
the heading itself appears.
2) Double ToC entries for the heading, one with the early page
number and one with the correct page number.

In my experience, the only safe way to force a page break before
a heading paragraph is to use Format>Paragraph>Text Flow>Page
Break Before.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998 at 11:40:27, Ron Biggs <ronb -at- SAKSON -dot- COM> wrote:

Ouch? It is painful, but we've learned from much indexing experience
that the only way to reliably predict page breaks in most versions of
Word after version 6 (yes, with hidden text hidden) was to set the page
breaks manually.

-ron
senior editor
sakson & taylor inc