Re: "The" before names

Subject: Re: "The" before names
From: "L. H. Garlinghouse" <garlinghou -at- WATERLOOINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:39:01 -0600

> Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU> wrote:
>
> > Amusingly but relevantly, many years ago when I was a corporate wage
> slave, I heard someone refer to my then employer as "the IBM" (a bit
> like "the FBI" or "the CIA"!)
>
> Here in the U.S., we do refer to "the FBI" and "the CIA" but not, of
> course, to "the IBM." I don't know what the rule is.
Would it be that we might feel comfortable in working for a Bureau of
some sort, or and Agency of some sort, but NOT a machine?

Working for the IBM Co. does sound more comfortable, doesn't it?

<< All opinions, statements, &c are my own>>
L.H. Garlinghouse, C.Q.E.
Pocahontas AR U.S.A.
(870) 892-4586 ext 7659
garlinghou -at- waterlooindustries -dot- com