Re: ISO9001

Subject: Re: ISO9001
From: Smokey L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:06:20 -0500

Jon Leer

I am curious, has anybody on the list gotten ISO certified? Would there
be
any direct benefit for a writer to get certified? (I know large companies
do this, but could a contract writer's reception be better if certified?)

Jon,

There is no 'certified' status in North America. You are either
'compliant' or 'registered'. Most firms elect to become compliant (due
to high audit costs). For those companies who wish to do business with
ISO Registered Corporations, they precede on to become registered.

It is documenting processes, not people. Ralph Robinson has a wonderful
book out for ISO on documentation guidelines. It is a very strong
QA-type of writing. [r2innovations -at- myna -dot- com] -dot- Every town which hosts
major corporations usually has a local branch of ASQC, and they can
assist you.

You may wish to watch referring to being 'certified', I have learned from
working with various project managers that they will close out writers
for ISO projects because the writer doesn't really know the concept of
ISO.

Consulting firms are being very knowledgeable lately in regard to the
9003 for services. So...they become compliant in order to become
eligible to be on a vendors' list. The company I am with is compliant.
Writers document the processes, and then a company has the choice of
meeting (complying with) the regs (internal audit) or call an outside
source in for an audit (Coopers Lybrand, Ernst & Young). This is new for
the service providers (computer consultants, management consultants, and
so on).
One large national business management firm, who specializes in
deployment and development, ran an ad in our local paper that they were
certified (hoping to be the first in the area). It backfired in their
face. Editorials were done by those who were compliant, warning managers
to be careful who they hire as ISO was being the 'buzz' word with trade
lately. In this case, ignorance was not bliss. The company lost two
major banks over it.

So I pass this experience I've learned on to you. You would be surprised
the number of people who don't understand and mix up QA with QC. Check
with your management directs to see which way they are going. I am sure
they would appreciate reviewing your ASQC material as well.

I also feel Ralph's outline-style of writing will offer you a quick
reference approach to a very organized checklist.

SLBare

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]