Re: Trademark Question

Subject: Re: Trademark Question
From: Ronni Geist <ronni -at- GEISTWRITERS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 15:57:28 -0500

> E,T, Hull wrote:
>
> > 'Morning, everyone,
> >
> > One of the no-nos about trademarks is using it in a possessive form:
> >
> > Microsoft Word's capabilities
> > Adobe FrameMaker's tools
>
> Maybe a dumb question, but why is this a no-no? And who says so?
>
> Ed Hull
> Professional English
> Vught, The Netherlands
> ethull -at- worldaccess -dot- nl

====

Interesting question, Ed... The only reason I know of comes directly
from Microsoft. In the _Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical
Publications_ (© 1995, Microsoft Press), on page 190 in the section on
"product names" it states:

"Do not use the possessive form of a product name or a product's
feature name. For example, do not use 'toolbar's buttons' or
'PowerPoint's File menu'; instead, use 'toolbar buttons' and
'the PowerPoint File menu.'"

Ronni

Ms. Ronni Geist
Director, Editorial Services