Freelance Editorial Association (fwd)

Subject: Freelance Editorial Association (fwd)
From: Sarah H Lemaire <shl -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:24:10 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:40:23 -0500 (EST)
From: kramer <kramer -at- tiac -dot- net>
To: Sarah H Lemaire <shl -at- world -dot- std -dot- com>
Subject: Freelance Editorial Association

The Freelance Editorial Association (FLEA), based in the Boston area, is a
nonprofit organization that works to promote the interests of editorial
freelancers, including copyeditors, desktop publishers, indexers,
proofreaders, writers, and others. The benefits to members of this
organization include

* Listings in the print and online Yellow Pages, a publication used
by many employers to locate quality freelancers
* A Members' Network to answer questions about freelancing
* Assistance of the Fair Practice Committee
* A Code of Fair Practice, a guide to business relationships between
freelancers and clients

Last December, FLEA was in danger of dissolving because not enough people
were willing to take leadership roles. I volunteered to serve as
president and in the last three months, we've recruited many members to
serve on the board of directors and help with FLEA activities. Our plans
for the coming year include increasing the use of online communication,
improving the FLEA Web site, scheduling house parties, and hosting
workshops for freelancers. We plan to create more opportunities for FLEA
members to connect with recruiters and other potential employers. We
welcome ideas from members for ways to improve the organization and make
it more relevant in today's business climate.

Our immediate goal is to increase membership and help restore financial
stability to FLEA. We welcome new members from all areas of the country.
Membership in FLEA is especially helpful for freelancers who are just
getting started as a freelancer. Writing, editing, and proofreading
opportunities within the Association can enhance your resume, help you
hone your editorial skills, and provide you with valuable personal
contacts that can lead to job referrals.

We hope you can join the Freelance Editorial Association as we head into
the Millenium! To join, send $90 for 1998 dues to: Freelance Editorial
Association, P.O. Box 380835, Cambridge, MA 02238-0835. For more
information, contact me or Sarah Lemaire, Volunteer Coordinator, at
shl -at- world -dot- std -dot- com -dot-

Eileen Kramer
President, Freelance Editorial Association
kramer -at- tiac -dot- net