Re: Framemaker vs. Interleaf

Subject: Re: Framemaker vs. Interleaf
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:01:25 +0200

Melonie,

your message shows very well that it is always a big pain to switch to
another tool. It does not matter whether it is from Interleaf to
Framemaker, or from Framemaker to Word, or from Wordstar to AmiPro ... or
whatever.

It can even be a problem with upgrades within the same software. Quark
Xpress has a reputation that it refuses to open anything not created with
its exact version number.

So, it is always very important to compare the advantages and disadvantages
of switching systems. Of course, one day, it might be necessary. But then,
the appropriate tools and resources for switching must be made available.

This is especially a word in the ears of some clowns in management who have
their idee fixe about tools, and want to impose it on anyone in the company
(mainly because their favourite tool comes bundled with new computers). So,
they save $100 for the expense of magnitudes more...

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap