Re: Product/audience analysis

Subject: Re: Product/audience analysis
From: "Burns, Nancy" <nburns -at- BREAULT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:36:09 -0700

-----Original Message-----

>From: Kelly Williamson <kelly -dot- williamson -at- CBIS -dot- COM>
>Subject: Product/audience analysis
>To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

<snip>
>>I've been assigned to a group to come up with ways to improve
>>our documentation, including paper, online help, and CBT. The main
>>problem we face is how do we gather information and/or
>>analyze our current products to see where they need improvement.

Kelly,
I recommend a book that addresses some of the questions you have concerning
audience analysis. Although the title indicates that the book is about
Interface Design, it's really more about user and task analysis, and how to
go about doing it. Both authors have extensive knowledge about tech comm
issues from years of consulting in their field, and are actively involved
with STC. Here's the book info:

User and Task Analysis for Interface Design
JoAnn T. Hackos and Janice C. Redish
Wile Computer Publishing 1998
ISBN 0-471-17831-4
About $49.

A few chapter titles:
Thinking About Users
Thinking About Tasks
Thinking About the Users' Environment
Site Visits (several chapters on this topic)
Template for a Site Visit Plan