Re: SACRED COWS

Subject: Re: SACRED COWS
From: John Gilger <bjgilger -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:06:13 -0800

Hi Everybody!

Since my last comments regarding writing samples stirred up so much comment,
let's shoot at another sacred cow.

It is easier to teach an engineer to write than it is to teach a "writer" or
"technical communicator" to understand and explain engineering principles
and technology.

I have worked with both, as peers and subordinates, and the engineers are
more productive every time. Of course, I write documentation for high tech
engineering projects, so the view is admittedly biased.

If you want to be a good, well-paid, tech writer, get a BSEE or BSCS then
get the hell away from those ivory towers.

Fire off that email, this ought to be an interesting discussion.

John Gilger

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach stick
around for a Ph. D."