Re: Binding arb clause in new contract--unfair?!

Subject: Re: Binding arb clause in new contract--unfair?!
From: Roger Mallett <roger -at- CSICAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:39:56 -0800

>>>Any advice? I don't know how severely they want to make their binding
>>>arb clause. I'd settle for something like the language in the original
>>>contract, which also invoked binding arb but was far less draconian. I'm
>>>pretty much ready to tell them to take a walk if they don't agree, given
>>>the good job market for contractors these days. The client is very happy
>>with my work and doesn't like the agency either.

Very simple answer to this: strike it from the contract (as well as
anything else you don't like or want modified). If they state that such
a clause is no big deal and not to worry about it, point back at them
and say if it isn't such a big deal then strike it. If they don't want
to work with you, then let the manager for whom you work know what is
happening and ask if he would step in the gap for you.

Do not fear rewriting the contract to work best for you. I they don't
like it, they risk loosing you and a good client. The possibility of
such a loss is quite uncomfortable for the agency.

I have struck done such several times, with success each time.

Roger Mallett
Control Systems
(714) 458-5040 x 239