FW: WRITING SAMPLES

Subject: FW: WRITING SAMPLES
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:26:00 -0800

Be careful when using references as a basis for hiring. How many of
you would refer a prospective employer to someone who was likely to give
you a bad reference?

Many companies will not allow managers to give references other than to
say that the individual did work there and the dates of employment. The
reason? Two examples:

* If an employee performs poorly at the new job as well as the old
one, yet was given a good reference, the new employer could sue the
previous one for providing false and nmisleading information.

* The reverse is also true (true story): An employee performed
well, but was assigned to a new manager who did not match well with
the employee. The employee left the company and the new manager gave
the employee a bad reference because of personal differences. The
employee sued the former manager for providing false information and
won.

-dg