Re: Small Company Timing/Billing Software

Subject: Re: Small Company Timing/Billing Software
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 06:18:55 -0700

At 08:37 AM 3/19/98 -0500, Tim wrote:
>Is anyone using or run across software that's turnkey (or usable with
>minimal setup) for firms like ours? For example, we need to be able to give
>a timer app to a writer that includes a timing function and a pick list of
>client/project/document. We often have more than one project going per
>client, and more than a single document per project. We need to be able to
>get reports by resource, by project, or in other combinations. We need to
>be able to set up multiple billing rates for consulting, writing, editing,
>or conversions.
>Does anybody have recommendations?

Well, we've been working on a contract gig for a company
that makes just that kind of software--it's just about exactly
what you're describing, but I must confess that I have no idea
how the price point for this software fits into the competition
out there. However, it's definitely worth a look, and a FMPro
database at least lends itself to information reuse.

(Disclaimer: Yes, we're involved with the company. However,
the recommendation below is sincere,
and our billing rate isn't tied to sales.;-) )

Feel free to contact me off-list for more info. Following is
the press release.

Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Mark Satterfield
Director of Marketing
marketing -at- traqtix -dot- com
801.322.4322
http://www.traqtix.com

RED ROCK SOFTWARE BRINGS TIME TRACKING AND BILLING SOFTWARE
TO THE INTERNET WITH PUBLIC BETA OF TRAQtix(TM)

SALT LAKE CITY, UT (March 6, 1998) - Red Rock Software, Inc.
announces the first public beta release of TRAQtix(TM), an affordable
web-based time and billing software system available for immediate
download. TRAQtix provides professional service companies with a cost
effective way to record and manage time spent on projects.

Implemented as a FileMaker Pro 4.0 client/server application that uses
standard web browsers or a simple, cross-platform Java client for user
input, TRAQtix provides an easy and familiar interface for team
members to record time spent on tasks and for managers to generate
essential reports for project management, billing or payroll from a
centrally located database.

"TRAQtix is very easy to use and fits neatly into our workflow rather
than forcing us to adapt our processes to the tool," said TRAQtix beta
user Eric Ray, President of RayComm, Inc., a technical writing group.
"We particularly like the close attention to detail and usability
throughout the product," he added.

By using web technology, employees on any computer operating system
have access to TRAQtix's time tracking and reporting capabilities from
anywhere in the world. This makes TRAQtix perfect for not only
employees connected to an office LAN but also for those connected to
the Internet from a satellite office, home office, or on the road.

"Java technology really lets us extend the functionality of TRAQtix
outside the browser and onto many computing desktops," noted Michael
Stahulak, TRAQtix Project Manager. "We're able to provide a convenient
way to track time offline that's still fully integrated with the
TRAQtix server and provides additional features."

TRAQtix retails for $399.95 for a 5-user license and only $20 for each
additional user with special beta and introductory pricing available
for a limited time. An online demo version of TRAQtix can be found at
http://www.traqtix.com along with full documentation and an evaluation
version of the TRAQtix server and Java desktop client available for
download.

Key Features:

* Multi-platform support for intranet or Internet connected workgroups
* Easy to use time entry and reporting using any standard web browser
* Interactive timer application for tracking time off-line, importing,
and exporting
* Multiple level security for access to administrative or timing
features
* Budget, project, payroll, and user reporting for any client,
project, or task

System Requirements:

* Server - FMPro 4.0 running under Windows 3.1, 95, NT or MacOS
* Web Interface - any browser supporting JavaScript and frames
* Java Timer - Macintosh Runtime for Java 2.0 for MacOS 8.0 or later

Based in Salt Lake City, Utah, and with offices in Chicago, IL, Red
Rock Software, Inc. has provided scientific software solutions and
consulting services since its incorporation in April of 1995. A member
of the FileMaker Solution Alliance, Apple Developer Program, and Utah
Information Technology Association, Red Rock Software has developed
solutions for such clients as Siemens, Loral, and Motorola and
provides customized Internet web hosting services.

TRAQtix and the TRAQtix logo are trademarks of Red Rock Software, Inc.
Macintosh, FileMaker, and MacOS are registered trademarks of Apple
Computer, Inc. Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft
Corporation. All other company and product brand names mentioned may
be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders,
and are hereby acknowledged.

###