Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts

Subject: Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts
From: Scott Gray <scotty -at- CM -dot- MATH -dot- UIUC -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:00:12 -0600

> Although I don't agree with the first assertion (stand-up training is always
> better), I agree even less with the second (it's the worst). It's an obvious
> overgeneralization. Provide some facts to support the idea that nonskilled
> people who learn to use complex production equipment learn better if they
> don't have stand-up training, or even better, that they can learn how to
> perform fine motor activities by watching CBT, then I'll consider it.

The key word you have to be careful with is "watching" CBT. I am not
suggesting that anyone merely "watch" CBT has to be a "participation" to
be effective.

The other thing is that I am not suggesting that people learn without
the help of instructors. I am suggesting that instructors need to change
how they communicate with the student. In every instance where I used
CBT to train students it always means MORE WORK for me. It is much easier
to stand in front of a group of students and lecture than it is to let the
students loose and walk around help them invidually or in groups.