Product/audience analysis

Subject: Product/audience analysis
From: Kelly Williamson <kelly -dot- williamson -at- CBIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:38:02 -0500

I've been assigned to a group to come up with ways to improve
our documentation, including paper, online help, and CBT. The main
problem we face is how do we gather information and/or
analyze our current products to see where they need improvement.

I know that audience analysis is the first, essential step.
I've searched the archives, and while there is some information
about audience analysis, I couldn't find anything very specific.
Are there studies, guidelines, etc. on getting client feedback? I've
seen opinions on the effectiveness of questionnaires, client visits,
etc. but are there difinitive answers? How do you go about assessing
or analyzing a product's effectiveness? And, how do you measure
success? (i.e. was the re-design sucessful, and what is that
based on?)

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kelly Williamson
kelly -dot- williamson -at- cbis -dot- com