QUESTION: CBT v. Training -Reply

Subject: QUESTION: CBT v. Training -Reply
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:54:24 -0700

I have worked with a team that has been researching this since 1994. Those
who have said that they think CBT might be a simplistic answer to a difficult
problem are (IMHO) absolutely right. We have found that CBT environments must
be very carefully developed, and is usually much more expensive and time
consuming than you might expect.

One example you might find interesting was a comparison of students using
hypermedia instruction to a group of students using virtually identical
multimedia instruction. The stronger students did fine in both environments.
Average students, however, did poorly in the hypermedia instruction. I would
suggest that if you CBT, you design it very carefully.

On the other hand, in a more recent experiment, a group of students using a
carefully designed Web site with interactive testing, did as well as students
attending class. You may see this site if you like, at

http://english.usu.edu/thermo/

This site may run a little slow for you and will look a little awkward because
it is designed to run on SG machines on 17" monitors. Still, it might give
you an idea of how it worked.

BTW, those of you enrolled in the CBT class? We will be working toward
building a similar instructional site.

It all seems to depend on how well you design your class.

Hoping you find this useful. . .

Dave Hailey
Assistant Professor
Professional Writing