Re: Dynamic Document Building (long)

Subject: Re: Dynamic Document Building (long)
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:19:46 -0500

Andrews, Doug wrote

>Can someone share their wisdom on the following situation?
>
>The Problem:
>
>To cut down on the size of large-ish WORD documents (100+ pp.) on our
>web site, my management has asked me to figure out a way of "building"
>documents dynamically via the web.

What you are really looking for here is a content management system. Note
that content management is a very different concept from document
management. You are attempting to produce custom documents on the fly as an
*output* of your system. The best back-end storage mechanism for a system
that dynamically produces is not a document of any kind, but a database.

A typical architecture for a system like this is a database with a CGI (or
NSAPI or ISAPI) process that takes user input, queries the database, and
builds the necessary document on the fly. On the authoring end, information
can still be authored in Word and then loaded, automatically, into the
database.

For more information of content management, see my white paper at
http://www.omnimark.com/white/w_content.html . OmniMark it premier provider
of content management solutions for the web.
---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications
OmniMark Technologies Corporation