Numbering Sections for Flexibility

Subject: Numbering Sections for Flexibility
From: Paul Cordts and Margie Monforton <mmmphc -at- MICH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:34:42 -0500

I need help from people who publish and update longer manuals:

My unit writes policy and procedure manuals (approx. 200 pages
total I'd say). We published our most extensive and changing manual in
January and it goes to 270 people.

Now we're faced with adding a new section - ideally in between some
of the other sections, but we've numbered them 1, 2, 3, etc. This
addition would throw the numbering off if we don't republish the
entire manual.

Does anyone know a way to number the sections so that you can make
additions and deletions without screwing up the section numbers?