Re[4]: Resizing GIFs for HTML?

Subject: Re[4]: Resizing GIFs for HTML?
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:53:17 -0600

If I were a betting man, I would bet that I ruffled feathers by using
a VBScript example. The anti-Microsoft sentiment is too hard for
some to stifle.

In my case, you'd be wrong. What ruffled my feathers (if anything could
have
been said to do so) was the way you reinterpreted the original question to
suit a predetermined point of view. (Original statement: "...You can zoom
in
and really see the details - even on a laptop. It is a great way to put B-
sized schematics on line. I can't imagine how I'd do that with HTML..." It
says "really see the details." How anyone can read that line and think
image
quality is something someone else added to the discussion later just to
make
it more difficult is beyond me.)

And likening IE to Acrobat is comparing apples and oranges. With Acrobat,
all you're doing is adding another tool to the tool box. It's easy to know
what documents it opens: *.pdf. With IE, you're asking the user to
completely change how he intereacts with at least one website/doc set.
(Imagine having to stop and think, "Let's see, now, which browser is it I
need to view that with? Oh, yeah, for stuff from ABC Dox I need to use
Netscape, but for Johannes Morgenstern Inc. I need IE." It's simpler to
double-click on the doc and let the system run Acrobat and load it in.)

I think webmasters' trying to dictate which browser their audience must use
is arrogant and stupid, but it's no skin off my nose. In fact, it's an
advantage for me, as the users who get excluded that way will be
predisposed
to like my work because it includes them, and less likely to judge my work
harshly.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224