Re: Question about Programmers and Usability

Subject: Re: Question about Programmers and Usability
From: Mary Nurminen <manurmin -at- TRE -dot- TELE -dot- NOKIA -dot- FI>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 07:33:37 +0200

One method of combating this is the use case approach. In that the very first
part of a design phase consists of sitting down and writing, in perfectly plain,
clear English (no charts on how different processes communicate with each other
allowed!) how the eventual software will actually be used.

The beauty of this is exactly that it forces the design team to step out of the
code zone into the user zone, and really think about how the thing will be used.
And it forces them to do it IN THE BEGINNING, before any design is started.

Another great thing about it is that, if it's written in plain English and not
charts and graphs, it is easy for future users to understand as well. And they
can have influence on design, again in the beginning.

We have it fully implemented in our software production process. Feasability
studies, done before a project is even accepted, must include use cases covering
the principle procedures to be taken care of with the software.

mary