Re: STC Chapter Presidents: Wrapup

Subject: Re: STC Chapter Presidents: Wrapup
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 14:14:30 -0800

>> Oddly, Michael Uhl said that in his chapter, it's the _vice presidents_
>> that disappear. I won't even try to figure that one out.

>        That's easy--fear of becoming president!!

As I approached the middle of my term as 1994-95 VP for programs of the
Berkeley chapter of STC, the president, Rich Julius, asked casually one
day, "Have you ever thought of running for president?"

"No," I replied, "I think Clinton's doing a fine job."

But the suggestion stuck. I served two years as president, and I'm now
finishing my ONLY year as immediate past president. It's not that I don't
still have ideas about what we ought to be doing -- it's that the new
leaders have their own ideas, and they deserve a chance to try them.

Besides, I worked hard as a chapter president, and I accomplished a lot.
I deserve a chance to think about other things. I considered running for a
society-wide office, but I have too many other responsibilities to give
it my best shot. ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA

(C) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.