Is there research for spelling out numbers in documentation?

Subject: Is there research for spelling out numbers in documentation?
From: "Robyn Grover, QTI, (414)246-7934" <RKGROVER -at- QTIWORLD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:37:09 -0600

Hello,

Has anyone come across any research regarding the readability of digits (4)
compared to spelled out numbers (four)? Our company produces technical manuals
and we were wondering if we should use digits in instructions rather than
words. (We are aware of the general rules about when to spell out numbers, but
we would make an exception to the rule if it would improve readability.)

Robyn Grover
Technical Writer
Quad/Tech International
rkgrover -at- qtiworld -dot- com