Re: Non-existent "features"

Subject: Re: Non-existent "features"
From: "Martin, Chuck" <chuckm -at- EVOLVESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:46:42 -0800

I disagree.

It's a simple design concept: if the function isn't in the software or
doesn't work, don't use the UI element (menu command, button, etc.) that
represents it. Anything else is a lie to the user.

If a function is obsolete (no longer in the program), get the old menu
command out of there. If you want to make changes in the design to
improve usability (I assume that's why things would be made obsolete),
then make the changes and make a clean break. Don't leave the visual
clutter from previous versions.

Providing a "this feature isn't available anymore...." message is bad
design. It first leads users to think that the function is there
(otherwise, why would the menu command be there), then frustrates them
by leading them down a dead end that wastes their time.

It's the same thing for "future implementations." Don't make users
expect to find a feature only to tell them when they try to use it that
they can't yet do what they want. Only marketing gets to make promises
to customers that they don't intend to keep; don't do it in the program
interface.

If you lie too many times to the user in the interface, they'll dump
your program and find one that is honest.

--
"You don't look American."
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere."

- Doonesbury
Chuck Martin, Technical Writer
Evolve Software | Personal
chuckm -at- evolvesoftware -dot- com | writer -at- best -dot- com
www.evolvesoftware.com | www.writeforyou.com