Re: URL style

Subject: Re: URL style
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:35:51 -0500

Beth Kane wrote:

> I've just inherited an online Help project that repeatedly
> refers to "a URL."
>
> This bugs me, because when I first started hearing the
> term used, I heard people pronounce it as "earl" -- not
> "you are el." So I would've written it as "an URL."
>
> But I'd better check on this. What is the predominant use
> these days? What's the proper style? I don't find it in
> the Microsoft style manual's index.

How do you say it? URL, U R L, or Uniform Resource Locator? I'd guess
that you would only use "an" if you are pronouncing it as a word rhyming
with Earl...like in Duke of URL, and to tell the truth, of the three,
that's one the I hear the least.

OTOH, it's "a U R L" (my preference), or "a Uniform Resource Locator"
and BTW my reference bible "Sams.net HTML 3.2 & CGI Professional
Reference Edition" uses "a URL".

> I should probably change it to an altogether different
> term, such as "Internet address." Does this work for you?
> Any other ideas?

NO. Internet "what" address....web?, email?, telnet?, ftp?

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global