Re: Database Publishing

Subject: Re: Database Publishing
From: Richard Frederick <fred_ri -at- ENG -dot- PRINTRONIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:19:14 -0800

Garret,

We are currently using Ileaf 6.1. We have in the recent past started using the
Ileaf effectivity (tagging) tool. Not bad for the small amount of re-use we do.
But we do make sure not to use this tool for big projects. The process control
required just isn't worth it.

We are going to FrameMaker 5.5 within the next three months. This move is based
on the non-responsive behavior of Ileaf, but this is not intended to put down
the tool, "-- it made sense at the time --." More than anything we need to use a
tool that easily applies SGML. One of our OEMs is requiring it and it makes our
translation and localization process less of a problem.

It is my understanding that FrameMaker has an effectivity type tool that will
work well for us and might work well in your organization. It also ports more
easily to usable PDF.

If my response is not on your target, let me know where I am off and I will give
it more thought.

Richard Frederick email: fred_ri -at- eng -dot- printronix -dot- com
Printronix, Inc. Phone: 714.221.2507
Technical Publications FAX: 714.660.8682