Manual Styles

Subject: Manual Styles
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 21:23:35 -0500

Izidkiel <izidkiel -at- AOL -dot- COM> writes:

>I've read that san serif fonts work best as headings and serif >fonts work best as body text. Is this true? Would you ever use >a serif font for a heading style?

The important thing is that your headings and body text can be easily
told apart, and that your usage is consistent. Whether they are serif or
sans serif is only one means of contrasting them (others
inlucdealignment, weight, and font size). Although the most common
practice is to use sans serifs for headings, I've also seen it broken
many times.

>Which particular fonts do you use?

Any answer to this question is bound to be complicated. It depends on
the manual design and how it's going to be used. Any book on classic
typography will tell you the essentials; learning how to apply them (I'm
starting to understand) is a life-long process.

.--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269
www.outlawcommunications.com (updated 17 Feb 1998)

"Dow Jones going into a stall,
Spray paint saying it on every wall,
The rise was fine,