Re: Writing for on-line

Subject: Re: Writing for on-line
From: Sonja Draeger <sdraeger -at- NORMAN -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:18:05 +1100

>>Agreed almost completely -- I'd just like to change "content" to mean
the ideas, and add "expression" to cover the words used to convey the
content. So you have content, expression, structure, and format.

>>The distinction between content and expression is important because,
even if you want to convey the same information in two different
contexts (say a reference guide and a tutorial), the expression still
needs to be different, to take account of differing readers' needs.

>>This, of course, requires great care in the multiple use of slabs of
text. The database option is a powerful one, but like most powerful
solutions it has to be used with discretion

Absolutely. To offer an example, although I don't write online help, for
each product we produce I write various types of paper documentation:
User's Guide, Features Summary, and two-page flyer. Each contains the same
'content' about features, but the 'expression' is different: detailed,
simpler, simplest. A database approach to this type of single-sourcing
wouldn't really help that much.

Sonja

sdraeger -at- norman -dot- com -dot- au
Norman Data Defense Systems, Australia