FWD: Employment Interview Questions

Subject: FWD: Employment Interview Questions
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 12:20:24 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I know this may be a bit off-topic, and I would like to thank Eric for posting this note.

I've been dealing with an extremely uncomfortable situation at my job and have decided to begin my search for a new position. I've been reading the archive and would like to thank all of you who have posted resume suggestions. I've incorporated many of these suggestions into my own resume, but now I need your help on one more issue.

I feel I can present myself well in an interview, but I'm bothered by one inevitable question: Why are you wanting to leave your present job? I've been at my present job for only a year. I know not to go into specific details (it would take hours!); I'm also somewhat uncomfortable using the well-worn phrase "I'm looking for new challenges." In a nutshell, there is a personality conflict with my manager that I know won't change. I know if I don't leave on my own, I will be fired in the near future. I don't have a written contract with this company and my employment can be terminated without cause. There is no legal discrimination I can prove.

I hope those of you who are hiring managers or writers who have faced the same dilemma can give me some suggestions or can refer me somewhere where I can get more information. I'm also interested in any advice anyone can give me about how much information my manager is allowed to give a new employer.