Re: Measuring effectiveness/quality of docs

Subject: Re: Measuring effectiveness/quality of docs
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:28:56 -0800

Beth,

Three answers, all simple, only #3 easy to accomplish.

1. Do formal usability testing on your documentation. There are
numerous courses and books on this subject.
2. Talk to your customers, even if you have to go through marketing
and/or sales to do it. If possible, actually visit a customer site and
talk to the users. Make sure you talk to all levels of users that use
your docs, so you can check each area of documentation (installation,
configuration, operation, troubleshooting, programming, etc.).
3. Talk to your support engineers. Ask them if they've had any "bugs"
reported about the documentation. Ask them to check with the customers
too. This may be easier than getting customer feedback via marketing or
sales.

HTH

Dick Gaskill