Word & Large projects

Subject: Word & Large projects
From: Sheila Marshall <sheila -at- STK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:40:02 -0500

Gina:

Word works very well for managing large projects IF you take the time to
learn how to do things properly. A similar learning curve exists for really
learning Word -- not just playing around with it. For those who content that
Frame is better, I contend that learning how to use Templates, field codes,
autotext and macros efficiently and effectively make Word a very viable and
user-friendly solution. If Word is only good for a few pages, then you've
only learned the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not saying, however, that Word is the best package out there. It has two
major advantages over others: it is easily disseminated for review/markup
purposes to a large audience (since so many people have Word) and it is very
compatible with importing PowerPoint drawings, Excel spreadsheets, and many
other file types cleanly and quickly. Can't beat those qualities. Doesn't
even matter that I have to implement some basic functions in a really
idiotic way. It just makes life so much easier than when I was using Frame
or WordPerfect.

So, it all comes down to your situation. Will you be sharing information
with techies and non-techies alike? How often do you expect to import
documents/charts/spreadsheet data from others? If you're the sole tech
writer and you have total control over what goes in and out, then Frame or
Page is a great tool. But if you have to share information and files with a
wide variety of people, my bet's on Word for making life easier!

Just had to bow to the God who is Bill...

Sheila

Sheila R. Marshall, sheila -at- stk -dot- com
Documentation Lead
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
325 Technology Drive
Malvern, PA 19355