Re: Scrollable list or keyword search?

Subject: Re: Scrollable list or keyword search?
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:49:55 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Nyman, Rikki <Rikki -dot- Nyman -at- ALLIEDSIGNAL -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>

>data from an Oracle database. To conduct searches, the programmer wants
>to use a text box with a dynamically generated, scrollable list (which
>may eventually contain hundreds of listings). I prefer to use a key
>word search.

I believe that Jared Spool's report titled "Web Site Usability: A Designer's
Guide" showed that users tasked with locating information at certain web
sites fared worse when face with a keyword search mechanism than if they
simply browsed the site.

I vote for the scrollable list as long as the entries are meaningful to the
audience.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com