Re: Who or Whom?

Subject: Re: Who or Whom?
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:34:56 -0500

Sorry to disappoint, Gilda, but your analysis is incorrect. The object
of the preposition to (and this from someone who is old enough to have
had to diagram sentences in high school, so I know I am correct in this)
is the _noun clause_, "whoever answers the door." The subject of the
noun clause is the subjective pronoun _whoever_.