Re: CBT Tools

Subject: Re: CBT Tools
From: sng <sngotler -at- RUST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:13:46 -0500

I respectfully disagree. You can't do ALMOST EVERYTHING with html, java and
cgi. They are not rich enough to do a lot of work at a professional level.
They may never be. Nor should they necessarily strive to be.

I recently created an interactive kiosk for a client who required us to use
html, et. al. In the end, I think he was disappointed in it. It was too
static and boring. I was not able to control placement of text and graphics
to the degree required for such a project. On the other hand, the same
client loved a kiosk I created for him a few years ago using an old version
of Multimedia ToolBook. It was dynamic, highly interactive, and attracted a
lot of attention (even from the Mac crowd!). Also, a CBT I developed for
another client could not have been as sophisticated using only html, et.
al.

The internet is a NEW medium, not EVERY medium. The printing press did not
replace pens, film did not replace books and television did not replace
film. They all have their place, even today. Let the internet add to your
potential, not limit it. Those who don't will surely fall behind.