Re: Word97 stability?

Subject: Re: Word97 stability?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:18:29 -0500

Suzy Davis <andavis -at- AU1 -dot- IBM -dot- COM> wrote:

>Yes, Word 97 is a major headache, but once you learn to work >around the problems, what to avoid doing, and still get your >work done, it is not so bad.

Suzy:

Please don't think I'm trying to be rude - I'm not - but you really
sound like you're maing the best of a bad situation.

Having to make a macro to do something which should be routine? Avoiding
converting documents? A month to discover the quirks?

These are extremely high prices to pay, and many writers can't afford
the time. What's more, it's outrageous that Microsoft should expect them
to.

You may be right that upgrades are inevitable sooner or later (although
I'm a Frame junkie, myself). However, there's something to be said for
Fabian tactics: the longer you delay, the more chance you have of
upgrading to a stable version.

Meanwhile, far more people ask me to submit files in Word 6.0 or 7.0
than in Word 97, so I'm not too concerned with the delay.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"So in the spring of the year, we took the fleet,
Every cask and cannon and compass sheet,
And we flew a Jacobean flag to give us heart;
While Pitt stood helpless we were waiting for Bonaparte."
--The Men They Couldn't Hang, "The Colors"