Re: Flow Charting and Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Flow Charting and Technical Writers
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:50:04 -0600

Two observations on flowcharts:

1) The ones that the programmers use tend not to be useful to the
writers or users. Software, like most things, looks different on the
inside than it does on the outside. Programmers care about inside, the
rest of us care about outside. There are a few exceptions. For example,
when I'm programming, I like to know what the compiler is doing to my
code in a fairly detailed way. But those are rare. Programmer flow
charts also tend to be things you don't want your competitors looking
at.

2) Charting is different in object-oriented programming. The classic
flow chart is a tool for procedural languages. Object-oriented code is
usually better charted with entity and relationship charts.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home: nax -at- execpc -dot- com