Re: Summary: typing speed and voice recognition

Subject: Re: Summary: typing speed and voice recognition
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:25:22 -0600

Dave,

Is there a physical reason that you cannot learn to touch type? If not,
there are lots of software packages that promise to increase your speed
(such as "Mavis Beacon's Typing..." etc.). It would seem that it would
be faster and cheaper and more productive in the long run to go this
route than to invest in the equipment, training, and time for VR setup.
Another consideration: if you work in an office, it might be extremely
annoying to your coworkers for you to be constantly "voicing" your
writing.

On the other hand, although I do touch type, many programmers I know do
the two-finger jig and seem to be pretty darned quick about it. For
myself, speed does not matter. I might type a few sentences, then read
on-screen to proof or reorganize or whatever. If my job depended on
typing, I'd have been out the door long, long ago.