FWD: More problems with equity

Subject: FWD: More problems with equity
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:52:48 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I recently received a very good performance review and a reclassification
to Senior Technical Writer. For this I expected a significant raise in
salary. I was given a 5.26% raise, only slightly more than I got last year,
when my salary was boosted by 5% and I received no reclassification.

This pittance of a raise seems completely unfair and out of line with the
performance review and reclassification I received. What, in your
experience, would a fair raise have been in this circumstance? For
background, I have been with the company just over 2 years, have about 5
years of tech writing experience, and am completing an MA in English with a
tech writing concentration.

In addition, I hear tell of bonuses being paid to programmers and others at
my company that far, far exceed what I was given, in some cases by nearly
a factor of four. In your collective experience, is it common for tech
writers to be remunerated so poorly in relation to other workers, such as
programmers and engineers?

Any input and opinion from those more experienced than I would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks much.

- anonymous in California