Re: Long-term contracting (was Re: Job Posting - Dallas, Texas)

Subject: Re: Long-term contracting (was Re: Job Posting - Dallas, Texas)
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:06:34 +0000

>To anybody who's in a similar situation: How does a long-term contract
>like this work? etc

In the UK agencies tend to want contractors to be set up as limited
companies and many (large ones anyway) may help new contractors to set
companies up. This seems to get around any problem with tax etc. I do
know someone who was a "sole trader" and he had to convince the tax people
that the long term contract was not his ONLY form of income (he made/fitted
oak kitchens etc as a "hobby" so managed to get away with it.

I worked on contract for over 6 years at the one place (over half the
authors were contract) but I wsa in a slightly different position in that I
worked for the agency. Earned more than staff but not as much as other
contractors. However, I was on 25 days paid holiday, sick leave, pension
etc so it had its benefits. I've done some since with the same agency
where I was classed as "staff" - paid more but no paid holiday/sick etc.
The benefit to me was that I was PAYE (Pay as you earn) and they sorted out
all the tax - what I got paid was all mine!

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International