Re: [Long] Making Money in Technical Writing & Roger Peterson

Subject: Re: [Long] Making Money in Technical Writing & Roger Peterson
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:18:33 -0800

Here are my comments about Andrew Plato's discouraging remarks
about being a contractor. (aplato -at- easystreet -dot- com)

>I have been
>freelancing now for almost two years and I work WAY more than I ever did as
>a full-timer. It is not because I have a ton of clients, but because there
>are so much work involved in setting up a company, marketing yourself, and
>negotiating with clients.

When I was contracting, I never had any of these problems because I
worked through agents who gave me more work than I could handle,
did the marketing, and handled negotiations.

>The reality is, most freelancers are overworked, heavily
>taxed, and often teetering on bankruptcy. Sure, you can make a lot of
>money. But not without great expense to your sanity, social life, and
>skills.

Is this a troll, Andrew? Every contractor I know that is competent is
doing very well and enjoys their work. If you are experiencing all
those problems, I suggest you seek a new line of work or find
a "permanent" position."

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- sabu -dot- Eng -dot- sun -dot- com