Re: (long) Delivering docs electronically

Subject: Re: (long) Delivering docs electronically
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 07:50:41 -0600

Gina Watts wrote:

>Does anyone have any arguments for or against the online solution? Is
>management right - should I just grit my teeth and figure out a new way to
>do it on paper?

My argument is that there is still a large number of executives out there
who view big manuals as the sole physical evidence that they've purchased a
big, expensive software system. Whether the system's users ever LOOK at
thos books is irrelevant.

But you have evidence--in the form of complaints--that users of your system
actually make use of your documentation. Is there a convenient way to get
input from the users? Can you ask them for suggestions on the most
sensible, logical, and user-friendly way to divide your big book into
little ones?

Can you further ask them how they would feel about the bulk of the
documentation arriving electronically?

It seems to me that the best way to deliver the documentation is the way
that will make your users happy.

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax