Project Planning & Contractors/Consultants

Subject: Project Planning & Contractors/Consultants
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:28:54 -0500

Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM> wrote:

>Do TW contractors and consultants do project management tasks >such as: end user analysis, determining project scope, and >estimating? Do TW contractors and consultants create >significant amounts of content?

In my experience, yes. In fact, as a contractor, you get into these
areas much more quickly than a full-timer is likely to. After two years,
you may have considerable experience in all these areas, while an
in-house writer with the same experience may still be a junior writer
without much experience in these areas.

>1.) TW contractors and consultants working at larger >companies do not do any significant project planning - even >at the project management level. The customer always wants >the TW to create pages as soon as possible. Often the TW does >not create much content - he/she functions primarily as a >(high speed) editor.

In extreme cases, I've heard, some TWs simply reword the comment in the
code and add a few general remarks. That doesn't seem very responsible
to me, but it happens all too often, no matter what the writer's
employment status.

>2.) TW contractors and consultants working at smaller >companies often do a significant amount of project planning. >And he/she often creates a significant amount of original >material.

In my experience, that's true. At small companies, you often have the
chance to establish standards and procedures, too.

>Unfortunately, assignments at smaller companies often do not >pay as much as at larger companies.

That's not always true. Some companies that are small in size are
extremely profitable. And if you catch them while they're expanding, you
should have no trouble getting good rates.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Spider spins its heart out, fox goes home alone,
Wisdom is a snake waiting underneath a stone,
Refuge is in silence or in any stony place,
I will not share your pity, your laws, or your disgrace."
--Oyster Band