Re: Use of the First Person

Subject: Re: Use of the First Person
From: "Linda K. Sherman" <linsherm -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:11:07 -0500

Dan Sabin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm an engineer, and I recently submitted a paper to a pretty well-known
> standards organization. The reviewers rejected my paper mainly for
> stylistic reasons, especially as related to my use of the first person
> "we" when I was referring to myself and the other researchers on the
> project. For example, instead of saying, "The researchers found...," I
> often stated "We found..."

It has been observed that the constituents of organizations whose ad hoc
function is the formulation and promulgation of standards are frequently
characterized by a pronounced tendency towards rigorously pedantic
modalities of expression.

I'm on your side but the problem, you see, is that "we" isn't a big
enough word to make these people feel as if they're being appreciated
for their obvious intellectual superiority. You have to understand how
these people think and what ego needs compel them to involve themselves
in this sort of thing to begin with, as the remuneration (oops, excuse
me--I meant "pay") is rarely worth the time they put in, if they're
compensated at all. It's best to just give them what they want. Think of
it as being no different than dumbing your writing down for Reader's
Digest. You're just dumbing it down in a different way.

It's certainly not the case that the "standards" of these reviewers are
univerally accepted in "technical" or "professional" fields. You'll find
plenty of examples of the editorial and/or literal first person in
scientific and technical reports, articles, papers, journals, etc.

> I was surprised that the reviewers reacted so negatively to the first
> person.

You must be young.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- concentric -dot- net>
Welsh-related and other stuff to be found at