Re: Use of "shall"

Subject: Re: Use of "shall"
From: Matthew Bin <mattbin -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:18:06 PST

>publications, scientific writing, and especially military writing which
still
>uses such archaic phraseology as "shall".

Er, is shall archaic? I think it depends where you are. And I find
that it adds a certain amount of tone to others' writing that is not
easily achieved in the written medium. (I make no claim about my own
writing, of course.) I'm not going to crusade to bring it into more
common usage, but it's worth knowing and using in my opinion.

Matthew Bin
NeoDyne Consulting, Ltd.
Mississauga, ON

P.S. I am not a crank!