Re: Re[2]: Programming Languages for Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Programming Languages for Technical Communication
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:05:09 -0500

> It seems to me that the WinHelp packages I have been designing for the
> past few years fall into the category of "content management systems."
> While it is true that converting/creating documentation for online
> help systems requires a non-linear approach, I note that I did not
> need any programming skills to prepare and compile WinHelp
> deliverables.

You don't need programming skills to write win help because Microsoft has
provided a generic help engine. Generic engines are okay for some problems,
but not for others. For instance, while win help provides context sensitive
help, it cannot provide state sensitive help, that is help which changes
based on the current state of the system. State sensitive help can be used
to answer the most common user question: "Why can't I..."

Win Help is not a content management system because you cannot implement
your own business logic, only take advantage of the generic business logic
provided by Microsoft.

Implementing your own business logic is the key to developing truly useful
interactive systems which can individualize information for your users. All
the really useful interactions and individualizations are those which depend
on the specifics of your product, business and your customer's needs. These
are not generic, so a generic solution can never be optimal.
---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications
OmniMark Technologies Corporation