Re: New Manager Needs Help!

Subject: Re: New Manager Needs Help!
From: Annette Schulz <Annette -at- DIGITAL-REN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:29:17 -0500

> At 08:18 AM 1/29/98 -0500, JGREY wrote:
> >
> >This will get uglier unless you immediately set behavioral
> expectations
> >for her, communicate them clearly, and begin enforcing them. I would
> >begin with a private meeting with her. Tell her what you've been
> >noticing in her behavior. Tell her what you expect in her behavior
> >(framing it as appropriate behavior between an employee and her
> >manager). Should she pull one of these games again, *immediately*
> take
> >her into a private office and explain to her that continued behavior
> >will result in disciplinary action. Document your meetings; send her
> >follow-up memos recording what you spoke about and keep a copy for
> your
> >files.
> >

> I'd add one more suggestion. Let YOUR boss know what's going on. He or
> she selected you for the position and has a stake in your success and
> may be able to offer some advice. (First, tell him/her your plans and
> then ask for his/her opinion.) Also, you want to preempt the
> subordinate going around you to higher management.

[My comments on the above...] I'd have to disagree. As a new
manager you have to show that you are capable of handling any situation
arises. If you go to your superior at the first sign of
trouble...well...then...you could compromise your newly appointed
position of authority. Show your superiors, and your co-worker that you
can handle this. If you want my advice, just TALK to your co-worker.
I've worked in situations where misunderstandings (both parties were
equally to blame) could've been immediately cleared up if people would
stop pulling their emotions and insecurities into their job and just
confront the situation with an open mind. It's an intimidating thing to
get promoted. But you did. Obviously someone thought you could do the
job...including the politics that come with the position. Don't let
something minor degrade into an unpleasant team atmosphere.

Good luck.