Re: Moving Files for Hardcopy to PDF and HTML

Subject: Re: Moving Files for Hardcopy to PDF and HTML
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:58:37 -0500

Joe,

You don't say what tool you are using to write and edit your
single-source files. The answer to your question is dependent
on the tool you use for HTML conversion, and that choice is
dependent on what your primary authoring tool is. If you are
an MS-Word shop, like the (unhappy?) majority of listmembers,
I'd suggest that you investigate the HTML Transit tool from
InfoAccess ( http:www.infoaccess.com ) which automatically
generates hypertext links for Word cross-reference fields. (Of
course, this assumes that your source documents use
programmed cross-references to section heading or captions
rather than hard-coded text.) The "Figure 2.3" in your example
will be tagged as the link point for a hypertext link (using the
<A HREF...> tag) so that it will be highlighted by the reader's
browser, and the anchor of that link (an <A NAME...> tag)
will be added to the actual caption of the figure. This works
much better than in a hard copy manual because you don't
even have to turn a page.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com