Moving Files for Hardcopy to PDF and HTML

Subject: Moving Files for Hardcopy to PDF and HTML
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:56:09 -0500

Hi, all you 'whirlers.

We're thinking of providing our user's manuals in PDF format
HTML format, or both, using one set of source files to produce
a manual's hardcopy version, PDF version and/or HTML version.

I'm hoping one of you knows how to get around HTML's lack of
support for captions. Without them, a textual reference to
"See Figure 2.3" won't be much help. I don't want my group to
have to do a massive search and replace with editing every time
we create HTML files, but I do want to produce usable docs.

Is there a workaround, do you omit figures entirely, or do you
just leave the textual cross-references in place as an exercise
for the reader?

--Joe
joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com