Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY

Subject: Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
From: Matthew Bin <mattbin -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 07:34:19 PST

>Actually, I don't use a whole lot of fancy tools to write. I write
about
>hardware and engineering projects, not software. And I STILL always
write
>my drafts in pencil, in a three-ring binder! Even the fiction I've
started
>to write recently...
>
>How's that for old-fashioned?

Well this brings up a good point, I think. I know that many of the TWs
on this list are writers of a less practical sort as well -- poetry,
fiction, et cetera. And I'm pretty sure some others must have come from
a background similar to my own -- which is to say, with a background in
English literature.

To me, the writing itself is the fascination with this job [groan --
another greenie -- wait'll he's been around another year -- etc]. I've
been a grammar geek for a good long time, so maybe I'm the anomaly, but
I find it hard to believe that more TWs wouldn't write with less
Microsofted equipment.

Then again, I think that WordPerfect 5.1 was the best word processor
ever invented.

My dream, in the end, is to do tech writing that will be printed on
hand-made paper in leatherbound volumes, available on the mahogany
bookshelves of a millionaire's private library near you.

Matt Bin
NeoDyne Consulting, Ltd.
Mississauga, ON

P.S. A deep burgundy leather. Embossed in silver. With tissue paper
protecting each plate. You know what I mean.